Practical Quantum Computers
Quantum Computers work on quantum computing phenomenon. The phenomenon is actually quantum mechanizing that uses the methods of entanglement and superposition to perform operations of the computer. We all are familiar with normal binary electronic digital computing. They use binary digits that 0 and 1 for performing different operations on the computers. 0 means off and 1 means on. The binary electronic digital computers use transistors. What’s different in quantum computing? Rather than using binary digits that are 0 and 1, they use quantum bits. They use superposition in different states. This phenomenon was first initiated in 1980 by two people named Yuri Manon and Paul Berioff.
What are Superposition and entanglement?
Superposition is a phenomenon that describes that a thing can be present in two different states simultaneously. Entanglement generally means things that are attached or tangles. In quantum computing, this property tells us that qubit (quantum bits) are attached or linked to each other in such a way that if something happened to one bit it will instantly affect the other bit no matter if they are physically connected or not.
Work on Quantum Computers:
Quantum computing is a very vast phenomenon and many companies are working on it. A Dutch research institute named QuTech is working on this particular project very hard. They have working labs that are doing most advanced jobs on quantum computing. Every year, the work on quantum computing is coming up for breakthrough technologies list but end up only on papers and experiments. D-wave system which is a Canadian company is making and selling machines which are named as Quantum computers just for a while by using a specialized technique called quantum annealing.
A professor hired by Microsoft named Leo Kouwenhoven is working on a project held at Delft. He is aiming to overcome one of the most difficult obstacles in building quantum computers. The obstacle is that quantum bits (the most prominent units of quantum computing) are very much susceptible to noise and thus errors. To get proper use of qubit, two things must be achieved: entanglement and superposition. These conditions are very deliberate and are slightly disturbed by fluctuating electric fields and vibrations. Many people have tried to fight with this problem to create quantum computers that can solve complex issues which are not solved by other computers. But now Leo Kouwenhoven and his fellow workers are working on making qubit that are much protected- as stable as the knots in any rope. This thing is beneficial because now researchers can improve quantum computing substantially without reducing the computational power which is used for error correction. Kouwenhoven’s work is basically based on manipulating unique quasiparticles. These unique particles were not discovered until 2012. This is not only stepping that has been taken for quantum computing. In the same particular lab, an Intel worker named Lieven Vandersypen showed that quantum circuits can be manufactured on silicon wafers.
How will quantum computers change the world?
The work on quantum computers is going great day by day. It is considered that one day they will change everything. Following are some of the predictions of how it will change the world.
- Airplanes will be safer: Airplanes would be tested before the flight by the D-wave phenomenon that is way too complex for classical computers.
- Distant planets discovery: Vast data collection by telescopes would be analyzed and new earth like planets would be discovered.
- Early cancer detection: Computational models will help in determining the diseases at their early stages.
- Boost GDP: Consumer spending will be stimulated by hyper-personalized advertising which is based on quantum computing.
- Automobiles driving themselves: For differentiating cars from landmarks Google is designing software using quantum computers.
- Win elections: Campaigners will be able to go through a lot of marketing information to check the voter preferences.
- Develop effective drugs: Doctors will be able to create drugs that are more effecting by using different quantum computing methods like analyzing DNA-sequencing data or mapping amino acids.
- Much powerful weather forecasting: The precision of weather will be done more early which would be best for people who are affected by weather. So, they will be able to get cover.
Until now, researchers have created many practical quantum computers ranging from 5 qubit computers and programmable but fragile ten to twenty qubit computers. Many companies are working on this phenomenon and it is hoped that in future quantum computers will be able to solve many complex problems, machine learning algorithms and cracking codes.